Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Start

Hello.  My name is Wendy, and I have just started my venture in chicken raising.  On May 11, 2016 a friend, who runs a feed store, commented that she had extra peeps that she needed to get sold.  I casually said, "Hmmm...I wouldn't mind some peeps."  I make the drive to the feed store, with the intentions of purchasing 4 to 6 peeps.  I was not prepared for the total cuteness overload when I saw them all!

There were Americaunas, Light Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorops, and probably a few others.  I started my selection by picking 3 Buffs.  When I selected the "4th" one, to round out my flock, I was told, "That's an Americauna."  At this point I could have stopped, put the Americauna back, and selected a different one.  But did I do that?  Nope!  I then picked out another Americauna to go with the first one, then another Buff.  That, technically, was all I had planned on.  Oh, but how plans change, especially when it comes to chickens. lol

Next I saw a teeny, tiny little Light Brahma.  I was like, "I want her, too."  and into my box she went.  She was followed by 2 more.  And then I saw a cute Rhode Island Red and plucked her up and into the box.  Plus 2 more, to make it an even dozen.  So much for "just 4 or 6"!



Here they are, boxed up and about to begin their journey to the farm. 


Keep in mind, while we live on a farm, we do NOT have a chicken coop.  Or a brooder pen.  What we did have were some inside rabbit pens, and that's where I put the peeps.  They started in the basement, but I wanted to spend time with them and running to the basement every few minutes quickly became tiring. lol  Since I spend most of my house time in the den, I put the pen on my sewing table (packing up my serger and sewing machine, without even a twinge of guilt).  I was in love!  





A few random shots, a few days old.  



Life is great!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment